If you are searching for the abortion pill in Atlanta, Feminist Women’s Health Center provides compassionate, nonjudgmental abortion care within the Atlanta area. The abortion pill, more commonly known as “abortion by pill” medication (or non-surgical abortion), involves taking a combination of medications called Mifeprex and misoprostol. This option is available to clients who are in the first trimester of their pregnancy, up to 11 weeks (about 2 and a half months).
The abortion pill process requires two steps. You will take the first abortion pill – a pill called Mifeprex – under doctor supervision at our Atlanta clinic. Mifeprex works by blocking progesterone, a naturally occurring hormone necessary for pregnancy to continue.
Six to 48 hours (about 2 days) later, at home, the patient will take another medication, misoprostol, a prostaglandin that causes uterine contractions and the pregnancy will be expelled. You will experience cramping and bleeding through this time.
Here is what to expect if you get the abortion pill in our Atlanta clinic:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight before the day of your procedure.
- You will undergo an ultrasound exam to confirm the length of pregnancy.
- We will perform routine blood tests before the procedure.
- We strongly believe in every person’s right to choose the outcome of their pregnancy and support them in whatever decision they make. If you are undecided, we provide resources and counseling to support you through this time. We will not perform an abortion on a patient who has not made a decision of their own free will or who is not ready to make a decision. If a pregnant person is firm in their decision, then the counselor reviews informed consent, answers questions about the procedure, explores birth control options, if needed, and reviews after care instructions.
- A follow-up visit will be required for some patients who take the abortion pill at our Atlanta clinic.
- Many women feel strong menstrual-type cramping for about 4 to 24 hours after administration of the misoprostol. If so, we will give you a prescription to help relieve this pain. You will receive specific aftercare instructions at the end of your appointment. You can also read them here. In case of an emergency, please contact us at 404-728-7900 or 1-800-877-6013.
For information on prices, you can visit our pricing page. Final prices will be determined at the time of your visit and depending on your medical history and needs. Financial assistance is available.