Job Title: Patient Care Technician
Department: Cliff Valley Clinic
Reports to: OR Supervisor
Position Category: Full time/Non-exempt
Salary: $18.54 per Hour
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; Flexible Spending Account; flexible paid time off; paid medical leave; paid parental leave; short term disability leave; 401(k) with 3% employer matching; Employee Assistance Program
Contact: Please send resume and letter of interest that includes a statement describing the candidate’s commitment to reproductive health, rights, and justice to Tiffany Robinson at email@example.com.
Job Description: Feminist Women’s Health Center (FWHC) is seeking a Patient Care Technician with laboratory experience in a healthcare facility to work on a full-time basis in its Cliff Valley Clinic. This Patient Care Technician will work closely with physicians, nurses, and other clinical staff, provide quality and compassionate care for clients.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- Demonstrated commitment to reproductive health and compassionate abortion care, and a thorough understanding of reproductive justice
- Serves as an advocate for clients during their medication or surgical abortion procedures
- Acts as an advocate for client exams done by medical professionals as needed
- Assists physician with medication or surgical abortion procedures
- Educates client on all information necessary for understanding medication or surgical abortion procedure in accordance with all state regulations
- Understands and is able to explain the information contained in the authorization and consent forms required to be signed by all clients receiving services
- Responsible for the set-up and breakdown of exam rooms
- Ensures procedure rooms are adequately stocked prior to physician’s arrival (i.e. cannulas, forceps, and dilators)
- Takes vital signs, including temperature, blood pressure, and pulse before and after a procedure
- Reviews chart for completion and relevant medical histories, secures client/staff signatures where appropriate, and maintains pertinent information on client’s chart throughout their appointment
- Understands and is able to carry out all emergency procedures and protocols authorized by FWHC
- Ensures all equipment is working properly for procedures
- Notifies Flow Facilitator and appropriate medical staff of complications or emergency situations
- Responsible for performing/maintaining supply log quality assurance expiration checklist
- Educates clients on all information necessary for understanding abortion procedures, pregnancy options, birth control methods, STI testing and prevention, gynecological appointments, and Trans Health appointments
- Is willing to cross-train to provide patient education/phone counseling and/or perform laboratory services on wellness and clinic days
- Evaluates tissues and understands what needs to go to the lab for analysis
- Adequately and completely fills out the appropriate paperwork for tissue evaluation
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments and maintain instrument log
- Maintains appropriate levels of sterile instruments for use in the clinic
- Keeps sterile room organized and clean
- Assists with the end of day cleaning
- Responsible for lab table set up, restocking lab area at the end of the day and disinfecting work area
- Notifies Laboratory Supervisor if any medical supplies are running low
- Complies with all OSHA regulations
- Runs necessary lab work including UCG, sensitive urine pregnancy test, urine dipstick, hematocrit and blood type in accordance with FWHC protocols and CLIA regulations
- Takes clients vital signs and documents in the chart
- Documents each client’s lab work in daily lab log
- Responsible for running all lab tests daily in accordance with CLIA regulations
- Monitors daily maintenance and upkeep of lab instruments
- Maintains all Quality Control and Assurance as required by CLIA and OSHA regulations
- Notifies appropriate personnel of unusual lab results
- Adheres to the personnel and operational procedures of FWHC at all times
- Attends training seminars, in-service and staff meetings as assigned
- Assists with training new clinical staff
- Understands and adheres to all OSHA regulations related to employee safety in the work environment
- Assumes responsibility for protecting the confidentiality of all clients using services in this facility
- Maintains current CPR certification for the duration of employment
- Performs other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor, other managers and/or Flow Facilitator
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities:
- Agrees to follow FWHC policies and procedures
- Must be able to maintain professionalism when dealing with clients and staff
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must be able to see and hear clearly
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time
- Medical Assistant or Patient Care Technician experience required.
- Familiarity and experience with electronic medical records preferred
- Gynecological care and/or Abortion Care experience is preferred
- Bilingual candidates preferred
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk or move, and reach and grip items relatively far away. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position will be performed in-office at this time. Must also be able to participate in online virtual communications including email, video conferencing, and other online tools used to facilitate virtual office culture and work sharing.
- Must be able to conduct business in English; however, fluency in languages other than English is a plus.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and scanners. Employee is regularly required to communicate effectively via computer, via phone, and in person.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
– – – – – – – –
This position, as with all roles at the Feminist Women’s Health Center, includes upholding the philosophy and mission of the organization by:
- Maintaining work performance consistent with the policies and procedures.
- Demonstrating an ability to work well with diverse groups of people.
- Maintaining a high degree of professional ethics, which includes confidentiality of all client, donor, volunteer & employee information, business strategies, etc.
- Utilizing work time efficiently and with integrity.
- Contributing to a positive team environment through reliability and accountability; communicating positively and assertively; & appreciating and recognizing your team members.
- Contributing to self-development and professional growth by seeking opportunities to learn through journals, seminars or special programs and shares learning with others.
- Communicating effectively with supervisors on the status of work in progress, including written status reports and staff meetings.
- Completing projects and work assignments as assigned by deadlines.
- Communicating questions about work assignments or deadlines to supervisors.
The position will be reviewed annually on adherence to and performance in job functions as outlined on an annual basis and may be modified as a result. The Patient Care Technician will actively contribute to the development of this position and its function within the organization.
Feminist Women’s Health Center is an equal opportunity employer.