Job Title: Billing & Coding Specialist
Reports to: Data & Records Supervisor
Position Category: Part Time/Non-Exempt
Salary: $18.54 per hour
Benefits: Flexible paid time off; paid medical leave; paid parental leave; short term disability leave; 401(k) with 3% employer matching; Employee Assistance Program
Contact: Please send resume to Karina Rubio at [email protected]
Position Description: The Billing & Coding Specialist performs a variety of complex clerical and accounting functions for patient billing. The Billing & Coding Specialist is responsible for reviewing patient’s charts, entering codes, posting charges, creating claims, tracking and reporting, managing account payments and following up with insurance companies. The Billing & Coding Specialist may be involved in strategic decision-making such as insurance plan participation agreements or funding agency agreements.
• Calculate and charge insurance companies either electronically or by paper (when needed).
• Update patient data in Nextgen as needed.
• Receive and review patients’ charts and documents to report accurately patient treatment, diagnosis, and related procedures and ensure proper coding.
• Answer billing questions from patients and Insurance companies.
• Identify and resolve patient billing complaints.
• Follow and report status of delinquent accounts.
• Process payments from insurance companies post and manage patient account payments.
• Use several coding systems, including Level 1 HCPCS and Level 2 HCPCS.
• Investigate and correct rejected and denied claims.
• Prepare and review patient statements/invoices.
• Participate in educational activities and attend weekly, monthly, and quarterly staff meetings.
• Maintain strict confidentiality and adhere to all HIPAA guidelines and regulations.
• Prepare reports related to insurance revenue and report to accounting team.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
• Knowledge of medical insurance claims procedures and documentation.
• Knowledge of medical billing procedures.
• Basic data entry and/or word processing skills.
• Ability to verify data input and correct errors.
• Ability to interact and communicate with people over the telephone, often in stressful situations.
• Records maintenance skills.
• Ability to use independent judgement and to manage and impart confidential information.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, or move, and reach and grip items relatively far away. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• This position will be performed with a combination of in-office and virtual office at this time. Must be able to participate in online virtual communications including email, video conferencing, and other online tools used to facilitate virtual office culture and work sharing.
• Must be able to conduct business in English; however, fluency in languages other than English is a plus.
• This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and scanners. Employee is regularly required to communicate effectively via computer, telephone, and in person.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position, as with all roles at the Feminist Women’s Health Center, includes upholding the philosophy and mission of the organization by:
• Maintaining work performance consistent with the organization’s policies and procedures
• Demonstrating an ability to work well with diverse groups of people
• Maintaining a high degree of professional ethics to include confidentiality of all clients, donor, volunteer, and employee information
• Utilizing work time efficiently and with integrity
• Contributing to self-development and professional growth by seeking opportunities to learn through journals, seminars, or special programs, and sharing learning with others
• Communicating effectively with the Director of People and Organizational Culture on the status of work in progress, including written status reports and staff meetings
• Completing projects and work assignments as assigned by deadlines
Position will be reviewed annually on adherence to and performance in job functions as outlined on an annual basis, and may be modified as a result. The Billing & Coding Specialist will actively contribute to the development of this position and its function within the organization.
Feminist Women’s Health Center is an equal opportunity employer.